Thursday, January 15, 2009

Some details on the trail work requirement

Answers to a few questions about the trail work requirement for Cascade Crest:

-Where can I complete my trail work?
Wherever it is convenient based on your schedule and location.

-Can I do it on my own?
We expect you to do trail work through an organization like the Forest Service, Washington Trails Association or a similar state or local government or non-profit organization in your area. If you want clarification from us just ask.

-Does the trail I work on have to be part of a race?

-Can I volunteer at a race instead?
No. While we strongly encourage runners to volunteer at races, we expect all entrants to complete 8 hours of trail work.

-Why the focus on trail work?
Trail work makes a difference for non-running trail users. By improving trails in your area you make a contribution towards all sorts of trail recreation.

-How do I report my trail work?
You'll do that via the website. We'll have you tell us the location, the date and the name and email of a contact at the organization you helped out.

-Will there be organized work parties around Seattle and Easton?
There are plenty of great opportunities around Seattle to help maintain and restore trails. We encourage you to consider events organized by EarthCorps and WA Trails Association. Work party details are updated frequently on their websites.

Other questions? Leave a comment and we'll get them answered.


Franz said...

In April I had a local opportunity to get in 6 hours of trail work via I had a great time by the way and plan on doing 6 more hours next month!

I was wondering 2 things. How many hours is the CCC requirement? (sorry if I missed this in the details). And, how do we provide proof of trail work completion to you?

Chihping Fu 傅治平 (超馬阿爸) said...


You need 8hr in total. After you finish the work, you can use the link CC Trail Work Form to fill in the details. I have a signed written form (adapted from Wasatch trail work form), but also filled in my trail work this way.

I guess they probably call the trail work supervisor to verify if needed. You'll provide the supervisor name and number in the form.


Franz said...


You're awesome. That link on the CCC100 page sure is easy to miss! Thanks for the information.